Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hurricane Season

I recently went through hurricane Gustav and I can honestly tell you, 'It sucks a bunch!' I've grown up with the threat of these storms for years. Until recently, I did not take them too seriously. That asshole, Gustav, scared the shit out of me.

I live in a small subdivision out in Ascension Parish. My power went out around 7AM the morning of the storm and did not come back on for about 9 1/2 days. I know that is not nearly as long as some other hurricane victims, but the old adage is spot-on, 'you don't know what ya got till it's gone.' Man, do I rely on electricity or what? My youngest daughter had a mild asthma attack the night of the storm while trying to sleep next to us. That scared me almost as much as the storm. You see, if the medicine doesn't work, where do you bring them? The hospital was probably overwhelmed (sp?) so we were on our own. Thankfully, Mrs. Purple Tiger was on the ball pre-Gustav to get refills on all the medication. So, everything turned out OK that night.

I quickly decided that my wife and kids did not need to face the days without any electricity. I packed them up on Tuesday evening and brought them to my mother-in-law's house in Houston. I left the next morning so I could come back to work. I can honestly tell you that leaving them in Houston was the most difficult thing I had to do. I really did not want to leave, but I thought there were guys at the plant who needed to be relieved and go home themselves.

I do have some pictures from Gustav and it's aftermath locally, and I'll post them as soon as I get off my lazy butt to put them on my computer.

BTW, thanks for coming to visit Colleen. It's nice to see someone comes over once and awhile.

No comments: